Resources for Parents
Parenting is a challenging responsibility, and at times parenting a teenager may seem like even more of a struggle. This period of transition, for both parents and adolescents, can be difficult to navigate. If you feel you are struggling to parent your adolescent, contact us at Frontenac Youth Services or visit the following websites for further support.
COMMUNICATING WITH YOUR TEEN
MANAGING TEEN DEFIANCE AND MISBEHAVIOUR
DEALING WITH CYBERBULLYING
DEALING WITH TEEN ANGER
DEALING WITH TEEN SADNESS
DEALING WITH TEEN WORRY
DEALING WITH TEEN ATTENTION/ IMPULSIVITY PROBLEMS
DEALING WITH TEEN EATING DISORDERS
DEALING WITH SUBSTANCE USE
Some adolescents may experiment with using substances during their teen years, while others may abstain completely. Substance use can be alarming for any parent, and many struggle with how to handle such a situation. Adolescent substance use can range from recreational to severe, and can impact mood, behaviour, interactions, eating and sleeping habits, school and work success, relationships, and physical health and safety. If you are concerned about your adolescent’s substance use, or how to manage this, contact us at Frontenac Youth Services or visit the following websites for further support.
- What to Do if You Suspect Your Child Is Drinking
- Prevent Alcohol and Tobacco Use: Learn About It
- The Child with Substance Abuse – Alcohol Abuse
- Kids and Alcohol
- Kids and Smoking
- Talking to your Child About Drugs
- Substance Abuse in Children and Adolescents
- A Substance Abuse Guide for Parents
- National Institute on Drug Abuse for Parents
- How to Talk to Your Kids About Substance Abuse
- Canadian Addiction Treatment Resources
DEALING WITH TEEN BULLYING
DEALING WITH SELF HARM AND SUICIDE
Does your Child Need help at home?
- Do you constantly argue with your adolescent or your partner about your adolescent’s behaviour?
- Do you feel like you are unable to control your teen?
- Do you wish that you could talk to your child or were closer to them but do not know how to approach them?
- Do you feel that you need assistance in supporting your adolescent with their mental health concerns?
- Does your adolescent feel very anxious for no reason, isolated, different than their friends or overly self-conscious?
Does your Child Need Help at school?
- Does your adolescent feel depressed about school all the time?
- Do you worry that your adolescent will never be successful?
- Is it hard for you to get your adolescent to attend school?
- Are your adolescent’s moods and behaviours causing them difficulty at school?
- Has your adolescent’s school expressed concerns about their functioning in school?
Does your child Need help in your community?
- Do you worry about your adolescent’s friends?
- Are your adolescent and their friends behaving in a way that worries or upsets you or would upset your family or relatives?
- Is your adolescent involved in behaviours that could lead to court action, which might stop them from achieving future plans?
- Has your adolescent been involved in unsafe, risky, or criminal behaviour in the community?
IF YOU ANSWERED YES TO MORE THAN ONE QUESTION ABOVE, PLEASE CONSIDER PROFESSIONAL HELP
Contact Central Intake to get a referral for your child at 1-888-454-6275
Other Sites and Resources
The Ministry of Children and Youth Services was created to make it easier for families to find the services to give kids the best start in life, make it easier for families to access the services they need at all stages of a child’s development, and help youth become productive adults. The ministry is working with government and community partners to develop and implement policies, programs and a service system that helps give children the best possible start in life, prepare youth to become productive adults and make it easier for families to access the services they need at all stages of a child’s development.
Kinark Child and Family Services is a leading children’s mental health organization in Ontario that provides evidence-based services that include individual, family and group counselling for children and youth living with mental health issues. Kinark supports children with Autism Spectrum Disorder and their families as well as offers institutionally and community-based forensic services. Kinark also operates the Kinark Outdoor Centre in Minden Ontario, providing programming, respite and therapeutic recreation.
Chimo Youth and Family Services is a community based, not for profit agency, that helps with behaviour problems, anger problems, inability to get along, self management skills, social skills, school problems, responsibility, problem solving, separation and loss, depression, anxiety, self- injuring, suicidal attempt or talk, sexual, physical and emotional abuse. Chimo focuses its services on children and youth but understands the importance of family for it is within strong families that children and youth can dream, hope and realize their potential.
Durham Mental Health Services (DMHS) is a charitable not-for-profit agency providing services and supports to individuals and families who are living with mental health concerns. Operating under the direction of a volunteer Board of Directors, staff work in partnership with clients, offering services that are person-centred and sensitive to individual needs.