A bit about mental health
People can use substances for a variety of reasons, such as for fun, for experimentation, or for coping with stressors in life. Substances also range in type, from cigarettes, to alcohol, to marijuana, to meth-amphetamine. Use of substances can begin recreationally, but can escalate and can begin to interfere with school, work, relationships, your health and safety, and your emotional state. If the use of substances is interfering in your life, contact Frontenac Youth Services or visit the following websites for further support.
Need help at home?
- Do you constantly argue with your parents or sister or brother?
- Do you feel like the black sheep in your family?
- Do you wish that you could talk to your parents or were closer to them but do not know how to approach them?
- Do you feel you have disappointed your parents, or they want you to be someone you are not?
- Do you feel very anxious for no reason, isolated, different than your friends or overly self-conscious?
Need help at school?
- Do you feel depressed about school all the time?
- Do you think you are “stupid”, and will never be successful?
- Is it hard for you to talk about school to your parents and teachers?
- Are there other students at school that are doing things that could be harmful to you, or other students in the school?
Need help in your community?
- Do you worry about your friends?
- Are you and your friends behaving in a way that worries or upsets you or would upset your family or relatives?
- Are you involved in behaviours that could lead to court action, which might stop you from achieving your future plans?
IF YOU ANSWERED YES TO MORE THAN ONE QUESTION ABOVE, PLEASE CONTACT CENTRAL INTAKE
Contact Central Intake to get a referral at 1-888-454-6275
Other Sites and Resources
The Ministry of Children and Youth Services was created to make it easier for families to find the services to give kids the best start in life, make it easier for families to access the services they need at all stages of a child’s development, and help youth become productive adults. The ministry is working with government and community partners to develop and implement policies, programs and a service system that helps give children the best possible start in life, prepare youth to become productive adults and make it easier for families to access the services they need at all stages of a child’s development.
Kinark Child and Family Services is a leading children’s mental health organization in Ontario that provides evidence-based services that include individual, family and group counselling for children and youth living with mental health issues. Kinark supports children with Autism Spectrum Disorder and their families as well as offers institutionally and community-based forensic services. Kinark also operates the Kinark Outdoor Centre in Minden Ontario, providing programming, respite and therapeutic recreation.
Chimo Youth and Family Services is a community based, not for profit agency, that helps with behaviour problems, anger problems, inability to get along, self management skills, social skills, school problems, responsibility, problem solving, separation and loss, depression, anxiety, self- injuring, suicidal attempt or talk, sexual, physical and emotional abuse. Chimo focuses its services on children and youth but understands the importance of family for it is within strong families that children and youth can dream, hope and realize their potential.
Durham Mental Health Services (DMHS) is a charitable not-for-profit agency providing services and supports to individuals and families who are living with mental health concerns. Operating under the direction of a volunteer Board of Directors, staff work in partnership with clients, offering services that are person-centred and sensitive to individual needs.